Monday, July 02, 2007

Médecins Sans Frontières

I've been suffering with a sore throat since I arrived in Finland, but initially put it down to taking several flights in a short space of time. By last Friday, though, I had tried unsuccessfully to get rid of it with two of my three favourite remedies; medicated lozenges and gargling with soluble Aspirin. (My real favourite is a Whisky Mac - whisky and green ginger wine - before bedtime, but I haven't got the booze to hand).

So, I tried the on-site occupational health service at the office. Former colleagues will know that we had an excellent occupational health advisor at the Basingstoke office, but my new workplace offers a full clinic, with physicians and nursing staff. The doctor referred me for a Streptococcus A test, carried out immediately, which suggested this was not the cause of my symptoms. She then prescribed Burana (800mg Ibuprofen tablets) and a Betadine mouthwash and asked me to visit again this morning.

Though I had a great weekend with Stephanie, my throat was not improved by this morning, so I was referred to a laboratory in the city centre for blood tests. I got there around 11am, was seen without waiting, had my samples taken and away I went. The results were faxed to the doctor at 1pm, she called me to advise I had no other infections to contradict her original diagnosis of an Adenovirus infection. Definitely not man flu! I am signed off work until Thursday on strict instructions to rest. I'll try, but I am itching to get back to the office before the rest of my team disappear for their holidays.

So, my first experience of the Finnish medical system has left me as impressed as I am by the other public services in this country. And yes, my throat is feeling a little better. Remedy number four? Fresh Finnish strawberries and ice cream.

No comments: