Monday, December 10, 2007

There is nothing like a dame ...

It's pantomime season in the UK (oh yes, it is) and as I was at home for the weekend, I got to see my wife playing evil Queen Fester in Snow White. She was brilliant; strong character acting and possibly her best singing yet in our village amateur dramatic group show.

Pantomime is a Christmas holiday tradition in England; some of my overseas readers know about it but for the rest, I recommend http://www.its-behind-you.com/ as a starter where you can learn some of the basics. "Principal Boy" is played by a girl and traditionally the matriarchal role, called the Dame, is played by a man. For the last few years, I have been lucky enough to have that role, last year playing the eponymous Mother Goose.

Being part of TOADS (The Old Alresford Dramatic Society) has been one of our family's pleasures over the last few years; we have made great friends and had a lot of fun. Moving to Helsinki this year meant I could not take part in person but, through the magic of digital recording, I was able to be the voice of the mirror telling the evil Queen that she was not the fairest in the land. It was probably just as well that I wasn't in the country for most of the time that Stephanie (and Helen, who she was role sharing with) was hearing it!

The BBC is reporting that even Hollywood stars such as Mickey Rooney are queuing up to play in panto. I am not surprised, it is sheer escapist fun (and for them, not us, a nice little earner).

No comments: