Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas traditions...

I was invited this week to a special event, tasting Finnish Rice Porridge, a traditional dish enjoyed before the sauna on Christmas Eve in Finland. Sadly, because of work commitments I could not go, but decided to find out more.

The Finns enjoy a wide range of porridges for breakfast; back home we tend only to see Oatmeal, a favourite of my wife in the winter. Here, you can get Buckwheat, Rye or even Semolina (which just brings back awful memories of school lunch for me). But at this time of year, Christmas Porridge is served. From the recipe, it sounds much like Rice Pudding at home. One blanched Almond is added to the pot and whoever gets it is in for good fortune in the coming year.

This reminded me of one of our Christmas traditions, involving a silver sixpence in the Christmas Pudding. Also alleged to be a harbinger of luck, I have often wondered how many of those who found it unexpectedly in their portion end up with a trip to the accident & emergency department as a result. That doesn't seem very lucky to me, unless you prefer hospital food to Christmas lunch at home. I don't fancy it.

I've been sharing Mince Pies with my colleagues this week. A slight misunderstanding with a vegetarian in the team resulted in her avoiding them as, although they say "mincemeat" on the ingredients, they are in fact stuffed with dried fruit and orange peel. I shall continue my missionary work here undeterred.

No comments: