Saturday, December 08, 2007

State of Independence ...

My congratulations to my friends and colleagues in Finland, who celebrated 90 years of independence and democratic government on Thursday. According to Finland Relocation Services, the company which managed my move to Helsinki: "The national festivities of Independence Day begin by raising the flag in Tähtitorni hill, in Helsinki. This is then followed with the festive divine service at the Cathedral of Helsinki, where by tradition, the President is also present. In the evening the President receives guests for the gala occasion which is held at the President's Palace in Helsinki. Approximately 2000 people are invited to this banquet every year, and war veterans attend as the guests of honour. The event is broadcast on television, and it is a very popular happening which collects millions of Finns in front of the TV every year. Independence Day is an official flag-raising day, and in every home, candles are normally lit in the windows to honour the day. This day is also a public holiday and stores will be closed then."

I spent Independence Day in the UK with my parents and then in the evening with my former Round Table colleagues. Though I did not see the range of dresses, which I am told is the subject of considerable discussion on TV broadcasts in Finland (they must have a Terry Wogan equivalent commentating, surely), I did have a good time and enjoyed a certain feeling of independence, rudely broken when the emails summoned me back to work this morning.

No comments: