Tuesday, September 25, 2007

On my own again...

Dad has just rung from the UK to say they got home safely. We had a good time, the longest we've spent together as a family for several years. In addition to watching a rather disappointing Cirque du Soleil show, Delirium, we had dinner last night at Lappi, a restaurant with a traditional Lappish menu. We started with an assortment of appetisers, including Arctic Char tartare, air dried and lightly smoked Reindeer and white cheese with Cloudberries. Mum, Dad and Jill had Reindeer fillet to follow, I opted for the Reindeer stew, all were good.

It seems amazing to think that I have now been living in Helsinki for more than three months. The city feels like home, or at least a home-from-home. And having Mum, Dad and Jill to stay reminded me how much about my new home I now take for granted, rather than finding it unusual. They were impressed by the promptness of the cabs, the friendliness of the people and the range of shopping on offer. I had prepared them for cold weather, but apart from some rain on Saturday morning, we had relatively warm and sunny days.

I shall look forward to other visitors, to give me more reason to visit some of the landmarks I pass every day. Any takers?

No comments: