Friday, September 07, 2007

Dress down Friday...?

A lot of workplaces now have a more casual dress code on Fridays. As someone who started their working life in a blue suit & white shirt, I've always found even business casual a difficult concept to deal with. For a start, it requires a lot more thought than just choosing which tie to wear. After all, if you aren't wearing a dark suit and black shoes, then what colour socks to wear? Long sleeved or short sleeved shirt? What about jumpers or pullovers? And having to make all these decisions first thing in the morning is not, as my family will testify, a strong point for me.

But today, I feel I have scored a win. Grey jeans, long sleeved sweater and new shoes. These are not just any shoes. And I should know, my wife is an acknowledged shoe collector; we stopped counting hers when we topped 100 pairs. I had never quite understood her passion for footwear, until this year. These are Robert Wayne "Rocket" loafers.

I first saw them when I visited White Plains earlier this year. I loved how different they were from my normal styles, but the store didn't have them in my size. Luckily, when we visited Nordstrom in San Francisco on holiday, I found them again. I had to have them. I suppose that if these are evidence of a mid-life crisis, they are a lot less expensive than a sports car, or an affair.

So, I have been feeling good all day and getting positive compliments from my colleagues. It's back to the contour foam slippers when I get home, though!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Come to your senses, man, you are talking about shoes on your blog!