Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blinking into the light ...

This has been my first weekend in Helsinki for five weeks and it really does feel as though the city is waking up for summer.

On Friday, I was in the tent at April Jazz (more correctly the International Jazz Festival in Tapiola). Playing live were excellent local singer Tuomo and a British group, US3, amongst whose hits in the 90's was Cantaloop. I'm not normally a fan of rap, but their fusion of jazz and hip-hop, with a stage show full of energy, was a great way to start the weekend. I caught the free jazz-bussi from the city centre, which added to the sense of adventure!

On Saturday, the cultural experience continued, with an introduction to another of Helsinki's ex-pat communities. April 25th is Anzac Day, originally to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I but now commemorating all those who died and served in military operations for their countries.

There is (of course) a Finn-Anzac society here, who celebrate the day with a picnic on the beach in Lauttasaari and I joined them with some other friends. We (of course) took a barbeque and grilled English sausages and drank Pimms, to show solidarity with our fellow Commonwealth citizens! One of the members had even made Anzac biscuits; my Mum baked these during my childhood and it was nice to have a reminder of home. Though the weather was a little cold, the sun was out and the view over the sea from our picnic spot was glorious. I even have a little celebratory sunburn as a result.

Today was a technical workshop organised by the Finn-Brit Players, as an introduction to sound and lighting techniques. They share the challenge our TOADS group at home suffers, trying to find volunteers to help with these areas for productions. I have been persuaded to take an apprenticeship in lighting for the next show, a Harold Pinter double-bill in June. I hope that this, too, will be an illuminating experience!

No comments: