Thursday, May 07, 2009

Vappu in Helsinki...

Last weekend, we celebrated Vappu, or Labour Day, here in Helsinki. My wife flew in on Friday, May 1st and we joined an alleged 50,000 people in Kaivopuisto, one of the big parks in Helsinki, for a picnic. The picture shows the view from our spot.

Almost all of the Finns were wearing their student caps, which are rather more practical than the mortar board I graduated in. Current students also wear coloured overalls covered in sponsor's logos; the colour denotes the subject they are studying, such as burgundy for law. I suspect the practicality of overalls when drinking for a sustained period of time is not to be underestimated.

As is to be expected at any party in Finland, alcohol is consumed, champagne being popular with the picnic. As a result, with so many drinking all day, the temporary conveniences became quite busy. I did add to my Finnish vocabulary, as can be seen from this picture, taken while I was queueing. I think you can probably deduce what it means - the French word is quite similar!

No comments: