Sunday, March 22, 2009

Splitting hares ...

Today was another beautiful sunny day, so I took the chance for a walk with friends around Lauttasaari. It means"ferry island", as until the 1950s, the only way to reach the island was by boat. But then came the bridges and now I drive over the island every morning on my way to work.

About half way round, we spotted this fellow, not quite the mad March Hare, but he was a little odd. As I walked towards him, he ran away, though I managed to catch this photo as I was walking back to my chums and they shouted "he's behind you" (in panto fashion) as the hare was doing his best to chase me! Compared to similar creatures in the UK, he was a lot larger, more the size of a small dog than a large rabbit and it was fun to watch, just for a while. It also reminded me of the book my team gave me last year, The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna, a well respected Finnish novelist. I can now understand why the hero Vatanen was so taken by the eponymous animal.

We also saw some great sights during our three hour amble, here is one of my favourites, combining rocks, snow and frozen sea. For more, see my Ovi Share Finland channel.

No comments: