Saturday, March 21, 2009

The gloves are off ...

It is finally feeling like spring in Helsinki! The temperature today was +4°C, which feels positively mild. Of course, it is around the same temperature as the inside of a fridge, but after the winter we've had here, together with a sunny sky, the grey of this city in winter seemed a little less drab.

I walked to Hakaniemi for a trim at Nadem's, my Tunisian barber, and felt brave enough to leave my gloves in my bag. Not at home, but at least I didn't put them on. And despite a very short haircut, I didn't feel the need for a hat either. The picture shows the view from the bridge en route; yes, you can see footprints. The sea froze during the winter, then snow settled on top of it and the Finns, displaying extraordinary sisu, like to take their constitutional walking on the water. Most Brits are brought up to believe that walking on frozen rivers and lakes is dangerous enough; doing so on the sea sounds even worse.

After picking up some groceries, I then walked into the city centre for some other bits and pieces I didn't know I needed until I saw them, then headed to Café Engel for a coffee and Lingonberry pie. Now I am procrastinating, trying to delay starting my Finnish tax paperwork and then the ironing.

No comments: