Thursday, August 30, 2007

Simple pleasures...

A couple of days at home are giving me the chance to catch up on some of the things I've missed in Finland, apart from the family.

... dinner in a pub - blissfully they are all smoke free since July 1. We went to the Fox Inn in Ellisfield, one of our favourites. Pete the landlord made us feel welcome and we enjoyed a couple of pints and some home cooked food.

... I got to listen to Today on BBC Radio 4 while driving to the station this morning. OK, so I can listen over the web while I'm away, but the two hour time difference makes it impractical to get my fix of news in English every morning. This morning was a bonus, with John Humphrys and Ed Stourton. For the non-UK readers, Humphrys is a bit of an institution.

... a bacon sandwich on unhealthy, white bread and a mug, not a cup, of tea in a proper London cafe - the Savoy (not the famous one) in Norton Folgate. I can't think of many foods with less nutritional value but, oh, it was good.

No comments: