Monday, February 23, 2009

Love is the key ...

I have had two unpleasant incidents with my keys over the last couple of weeks. The first came last weekend, when in a rush to get out for an evening of games playing and movie watching across town. I have lived here for more than eighteen months and for the first time, leaving in a rush to catch a bus, forgot to take my apartment key. Of course, I realised just as the door clicked shut and had that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Luckily, I had not left the building, so was able to check the notice board in the hallway and, by a process of elimination, identify the service which could help. One phone call and twenty minutes later my rescuer appeared. The door was opened in exchange for a 2o Euro fee and I was on my way, thinking how this compared with UK experiences. When eldest daughter locked herself out on her 21st birthday, a rather expensive locksmith visit was added to the costs for the evening. I wonder whether there is a business opportunity for a low cost "keyholder" service back home?

The second incident was today (Sunday), when driving back to the airport after my first weekend home in three weeks. We'd had a great time, despite my coming down with a cold, which has left me feeling somewhat slugged. As I got to Heathrow and returned my rental car, I realised I had left my Finnish keys - car, apartment, desk etc. - hanging on the hook in the hallway at home. The same sinking feeling ensued, but I phoned home and my darling wife, without hesitation, got in her car and drove to Heathrow, almost in my tyre tracks. Together with youngest daughter, they got the keys to me in the nick of time; I managed to make the flight with a few minutes to spare.

So, despite missing Valentine's weekend at home, for the perennial reason of Mobile World Congress, I can say that love is key for a happy marriage. I suspect, though, that this second incident may end up costing me a little more than 20 Euros!!

No comments: