Saturday, February 09, 2008

Soupe du jour...

If I head North from my apartment instead of South, I come to Hakaniemi, another of the major market places in Helsinki. It's about the same distance to walk, but whereas the market at the South Harbour is "touristic", as my former colleagues in Germany would say, at Hakaniemi it seems somehow more authentic.

As well as the outdoor stalls, there is an old market building, inside which are stalls selling all manner of fresh meats, fish and vegetables, as well as cakes and cheeses. A visit there today gave me a wonderful selection of fare, as I am cooking for one this weekend.

One of my friends here had recommended the soup seller Tapaste at the market. He is quite a character and has a busy business. It's a very simple setup. I had the choice of two soups, Bortch (his spelling) with bacon or Bouillabaise. I opted for the beetroot soup as I am the only one in the family who likes that vegetable and so take any chance I can to enjoy it. While I waited, a dish of olive oil with fresh green herbs was presented, into which I could dip the fresh bread until the soup was served.

I was not disappointed. Instead of the usual thick, blended soup this was a broth filled with julienne-cut beets and carrots, with a huge dollop of sour cream on top. The rich, smoky Paprika flavour took me back to our holiday with Graham, Barbara, Jim and Linda in Budapest a few years ago. It was delicious and I understood why, even at only 11 in the morning, his stall was busy. I was lucky to get a seat, as several people who arrived after me had to wait for 10 minutes or so for a table.

After that, I enjoyed choosing a Salmon steak for Sunday lunch and a piece of steak for this evening, my reward for two weeks worth of ironing. Tomorrow I will be off to Barcelona for Mobile World Congress, so I am enjoying my last few hours of peace and quiet!

No comments: