Sunday, November 25, 2007

Moonlighting in Helsinki, part 2...

I've spent my first weekend in Helsinki for four weeks, having managed to escape the November weather by travelling in the US and spending three weekends at home in the UK.

Saturday was a fine day, with glorious sunshine thought it was zero degrees Celsius outside. I opened the blinds in the apartment for the first time in weeks, as it is now dark when I leave for and return from work. I had a wonderful walk around the city, doing some Christmas shopping and buying a few essentials for some DIY jobs around the apartment. On the way back to the apartment, the sky was a beautiful deep blue and the moon was visible to the side of the Lutheran cathedral, the picture doesn't quite capture how stunning the view was.

I ironed a three week backlog of shirts to the BBC's Radio 4 Listen Again service through my Internet radio and then wrapped presents while watching episodes from season 2 of House, one of my favourite programmes at the moment - I brought the DVDs back with me from the UK.

Today was a grey, drizzly day, apparently the typical November weather hated by the Finns. To me it seemed just like the English winter, so I was happy to take a stroll out for a little more shopping (the shops are open on Sundays now until Christmas) and a couple of pints of Guinness at Molly Malone's on the way home. I finished all my DIY jobs (including moving the pictures in the bedroom to where Stephanie wants them), cleaned the apartment and then cooked some pasta. A blissful wind-down after a busy week and hopefully I'm ready for the next.

No comments: