Sunday, March 07, 2010

A sight for thaw eyes...

This is the scene in Senaatoori this afternoon. I've been walking through the square for weeks enjoying the snowmen's playground. This is all that remains - almost all of the carrot noses and other decorations are gone.

I particularly enjoyed the alternative snow art, on the steps up to the cathedral, you can see that someone has carefully swept the snow away to form a question mark. Was this intended to have a deeper meaning, calling in to question the very nature of belief at the foot of this monument to religious observance? Or just a bit of a laugh after one Koff too many? I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

As I walked home, the idea of a nap to sleep off the wonderful brunch at Crustum was becoming more appealing, until I saw the workmen outside my building. I could't get in through the front door because of their work, this was the scene from my balcony. The one on the left has a jackhammer, breaking up the frozen snow and ice from the pavement, his colleague is moving it to a pile on the road. They have stopped now, but I have no doubt that the digger and truck will be along later to take it away to wherever they take the snow from the city. From discussion over brunch, it appears that none of us know where that is. Stay tuned for the next episode of my investigations!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They dump the snow in the harbour.

Paul S.

Mark said...

Another friend offered this website, though Google's translation is not great. As far as I can make out, the harbour option is not so common because of pollution, instead there are a number of areas around the city, including Hernesaari (Google translates to Pea Island, of course) where the snow is taken. More research needed!