Saturday, June 06, 2009

Son et lumière

Yesterday was opening night for the Finn-Brit Players' double bill of Harold Pinter plays, Moonlight and A Slight Ache. I have to admit to being rather unfamiliar with Pinter's works before I joined the Players and, at my first run through, wondered what I had let myself in for.

I didn't study drama or literature very much at school and have done little to further my education in that area since. My performances have been in pantomime and musical entertainment with our local drama group in the UK. The Finn-Brit Players are a rather more serious group and so it was probably a blessing for all concerned that, on this occasion, I have been working on the technical side of the production, as the lighting operator. It has been a hugely insightful experience, which will help me when I return to the UK and our village amateur dramatic group, TOADS.

It was back in April that I joined a technical workshop organised by the Players and volunteered to operate the lights for the show. Since, then, I've been calling the lighting cues at rehearsals, but on Monday this week, saw the theatre where the show is running for the first time. Working with Antti, who designed the lighting for the show, we set up the different lighting scenarios for each play; A Slight Ache runs first and has 17 changes, for Moonlight there are almost double that. Each of these lighting combinations is then programmed into the lighting desk together with timings for each transition, so that on the night, I should just have to press one button and the change happens.

The other element is synchronising with the sound effects and music for each play. The sound operator is also a newbie, so Susan and I have been learning together. Susan is a freelance journalist for the Helsinki Times and this week's edition included her piece about the show.

I've found that as the rehearsals have gone on, my understanding of Pinter's approach has developed and I have been formulating my own theories about both plays. I have also been impressed by the performances of all the cast members, as well as the professionalism of everyone else involved. Last night, with an audience in the theatre for the first time, was a very moving experience. If you are in Helsinki, there are still some tickets left for performances next week, you can book at the Finn-Brit Players website. I hope to see you there!

No comments: