Sunday, December 14, 2008

Shopped out ...

This weekend was planned as a shopping trip for Stephanie, but unfortunately she is ill and so has not been able to travel.

I felt it my husbandly duty to still make a pilgrimage to the St Thomas Christmas market on Esplanadi on Saturday. That was a mistake.

Not because there was nothing to see, quite the opposite. With over 120 stalls selling handicrafts as well as food and drink, there was no shortage of things to look at, smell or taste. No, it was trying to do this on a Saturday afternoon when the whole population of Helsinki seemed to have had the same idea. I have never heard the word anteeksi (excuse me) used so frequently.

I didn't drink glögi (mulled wine) this time, but did have "Kuusamo fishes", as the English translation read. These are pretty popular fast food here at markets and the like - usually called Vendace, they look like (and taste like) Whitebait, but are a different species of fish. They are served hot, fried on a large, flat pan and often with a garlic sauce.

I hope to make it back during Sunday, perhaps a little earlier than I did today, to get a few final gifts for the family. I will be flying home for the holidays next Friday, trying the new service from Helsinki to Gatwick with EasyJet. For those who have been considering a visit to Helsinki but concerned about the cost, this is going to provide a great option. I hope to report on the trip in a future post.

No comments: